Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Introduction of boost::string namespace and string-conversion functions
From: Ilya Sokolov (ilyasokol_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-13 07:02:29

Vladimir.Batov@[snip] wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Bo Persson also expressed a concern siting it'll make it "very hard to
> propose the utilities for inclusion in a future language standard". May
> be. May be not. When things of that magnitude happen (which seem quite
> remote at present)

Using boost::string makes inclusion in std even more distant, while
choosing another name is trivial.

> components get moved from a namespace to a namespace
> (several times) anyway. Like some stuff from the "boost" namespace moving
> to the "tr1" namespace just ultimately to be moved to the "std" namespace.

In most cases names does not change when moved to std::.
The name 'boost::string' would suggest a string class for me, not a
namespace. boost::strings, boost::text,
boost::from_string/boost::to_string seems much better to me.