Subject: Re: [boost] [documentation] help - SFINAE confuses doxygen
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-23 09:59:58

on Sun Feb 22 2009, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld-AT-sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
>>
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>

>>> In my experience, doxygen doesn't handle advanced C++ very well at
>>> all. I have sometimes had to resort to hand-editing doxygen's output,
>>> which pretty much defeats its purpose.
>>>

>> Thanks Steven, Eric,
>>
>> I am using doxygen standalone for now.
>>
>> I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I have to treat doxygen as little more
> than an alternative to direct html editing because its extraction capabilities prove
> near useless to me.
> Have you tried Synopsis (http://synopsis.fresco.org) ?
>
> David Abrahams tried it out a long time ago, as a result of which I applied many
> improvements. I still generate boost docs with it from time to time, but don't
> maintain official docs anywhere for it.
>
> I would be interested to help get things up and running again, if people find it
> useful.

Hello?!? I can't believe Synopsis hasn't caught on among Boosters who
use Doxygen -- I get the sense that nobody but me has even really tried
it. It's got a real C++ parser under the hood, and it uses Boost.Wave,
which means it can do stuff that others can't. I mean, c'mon, we have
the developer right here in our midst! If something goes wrong he can
fix it. It even has a mode that groks doxygen comment syntax; it should
be a near drop-in replacement.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing