Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Convert+Boost.Parameter
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-02 09:36:12

On Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:18 PM
Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

> Well, in this case I really prefer:
>
> using namespace spirit::std_locale;
> spirit::qi::parse(str, spirit::int_, i);
>
> or, if you need another radix:
>
> typedef spirit::qi::int_parser<int, 16> hex;
> spirit::qi::parse(str, hex(), i);
>
> or, if you need exactly 4 hex digits:
>
> typedef spirit::qi::int_parser<int, 16, 4, 4> hex4;
> spirit::qi::parse(str, hex4(), i);
>
> etc.
>
> Which is far less convoluted.

I wouldn't want to impose spirit::int_ on a user when int is what they meant. Provided that can be packaged easily enough, then the idea has merit.

How is user-defined formatting done, though? Part of the discussion has been to support UDTs with specialized formatting flags. How and where would those be injected into the process if i = convert<int>(str) were written as parse(str, spirit::int_, i)?

How does your idea handle any-to-any conversions like uuid to long long? The convert interface offers the ability to convert among any two types. Will that work with Spirit or does that require both a parser and a generator with some intermediate format?

> <rant>
> I still don't get it. I agree that it might be favorable to
> have a simple
> API for type<-->string conversions.
>
> But as you can clearly see the requirements are piling up and it's
> everything else but simple by now.

I'm not certain anyone has really decided that the large pile of requirements are appropriate. One of the benefits of lexical_cast is its simplicity. Emil has argued from the start for nothing more than to_string() and from_string(). Who knows, we may return to that before we're finished. I know that I'm exploring options and ideas and yours has merit and I like the idea of migrating to full Spirit parsing as needs grow more complex.

> So I ask again:
>
> What's the benefit of coming up with just another full blown
> parser/generator interface in Boost?

Possibly interface simplicity, possibly non-overlapping requirements. I'm sure most of the alternatives arise from ignorance of what you practically breathe daily.

> What's the benefit of discarding/obsoleting lexical_cast<>()
> as the _really_
> minimal, simple interface?

That's been documented: at least non-throwing calls and support for defaults. The convert interface also provides for the possibility of any-to-any type conversions.

> Guy's. You're trying to come up with a DSEL (domain specific embedded
> language) for parsing and generating.
> What's it exactly you don't like in Spirits DSEL? Just the
> fact that it
> wasn't _you_ to come up with this particular syntax? Have you
> even looked?

I think you're overly sensitive here. I suspect Spirit seems overwhelming to those unfamiliar with it and seems targeted for different purposes. Those not accustomed to parsing, much less using a DSEL for parsing, don't think in those terms. As another noted, we've also been discussing interface, focusing on simplicity and suitability to the purpose. Now might be a great time to see how it can be guided to something a little closer to Spirit syntax for that growth path from the simple -- convert -- to the complex -- full Spirit.

> Wouldn't it be better to use the experience the Spirit
> developers/users have
> collected over _years_ (!) and try to find a simpler API on
> top of Spirit
> directly extending from the existing one, certainly while limiting the
> possibilities in favor of a reduced feature set and a simplified usage
> model?

I don't think the Spirit developers have made such an offer previously. You suggested Spirit syntax before but not like here. I'm happy to see what can be done on this tack.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]