Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] area, length, centroid, behavior
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-05 04:32:33

Hi Michael,

> I'd almost not even want to see those algorithms included. It seems
> really elegant to me to have a set of concepts and tags that a bunch
> of domain specific algorithms can use. I think dot product and cross
> product belong in a linear algebra extension. You could, however,
> ship the library with a few extensions already included. I think GIL
> did that with the goal of adding more later.

Agreed, this approach makes sense.

> See above. As a side note: I don't think kernel is really the best
> term for this piece of the library. I know it's central, but it isn't
> the central computing mechanism of the library since it doesn't really
> compute anything.

I chose this term because the same term is used in CGAL. I thought
what they call "kernel" was precisely the concepts part of the
library, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't know much that library.

> I think this is a good direction to take. I know both parties will be
> reluctant since they have invested so much time and effort, but surely
> it would be better for the community.

For sure it would be better. And the fact of trying to "extract" a
kernel from both library is much less frustrating than forcing one to
give up the core of his work. We don't throw anything away, we rather
take the "quintessence" of each one.

Bruno