Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] area, length, centroid, behavior
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-06 04:22:38

Hi Mika,

> Do you have any plans to also add a robust buffering function?
You asked this to Luke and I saw his answers but here also an answer
from our side.

Yes, we've planned a buffer algorithm in the near future. I'm currently
busy with self-intersections, which have to be addressed by the
buffering. Then the buffer algorithm might be implemented for a geometry.

Buffering is special in that sense that buffering one polygon can have a
different output from buffering two polygons. So besides the
buffer(polygon) you'll probably also need a buffer algorithm on a
collection. Same for linestrings, points. As also described in the
PDF-link you gave. Other issues are buffer-outside, buffer-inside, holes
which might disappear. And multi geometries (of course related to the
collection).

Regards, Barend