Subject: Re: [boost] [Python] GSoC and Python 3.0 Support
From: Ravi (lists_ravi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-11 13:42:42

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 12:38:55 Haoyu Bai wrote:
> > 1. Thread safety
> > 2. PyFinalize support
> > 3. Easier methods to write to_python/from_python converters
> > 4. Python 3.0 support
> > 5. Ability to extend the fundamental PyTypeObject used by boost.python
>
> Thanks! Seems there's a lot of interesting. So would anyone willing to
> mentor this?

Sadly, I suspect that finding a mentor will be difficult (perhaps even more
difficult than the actual project). Off the top of my head, the following
folks come to mind:
  - Dave Abrahams
  - Stefan Seefeld
  - Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve
  - Roman Yakovenko
You might try contacting them off list or on c++-sig (cc'ed on this email).

> Also thanks Ravi for a list of features that may be candidates for
> this project. I will dive into Boost.Python source code to see more
> about these.

I did not mean to imply that the features I requested should be part of your
GSoC. Thread safety & PyFinalize support would each be worth a GSoC project
just by themselves, IMHO. If you will be tackling python 3.0 support, it might
be possible to combine it with greater support for embedding python since much
of the work in both aspects would be about wrapping python C API for C++
programmers.

Regards,
Ravi