Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] robustness approaches
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-16 15:57:20

Arash Partow wrote:
> But in regards to some of the comments you've made about robustness
> and such, I would like to suggest you have a read of the paper:
>
> "Robustness In Geometric Computations" Christoph M. Hoffmann 2001

Thank you for the reference.

> reliance upon type precision essentially becomes a bottomless pit
> of problems.

That's the pit that I want to stay out of at all cost. Effort expended "maintaining" code subtracts from effort that could be expended writing new code. If I make a maintenance problem for myself by implementing something that will cause problems for uses then I become a slave to my own code. Hopefully the reference you gave me and those from Fernando can help me steer clear of the pitfalls.

Luke