Subject: Re: [boost] Can a Boost library use a component like GMP and mfpr that have a LGPL license ?
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-24 05:18:25

Hi,

Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> A different and much less ambitious goal could be to come up with a
> good C++ *interface* to *those* libraries. That is, C++ number types
> specifically designed to be implementable on top of a C API like that
> of GMP and MPFR.
This is the approach we planned to take. In our geometry library (GGL)
we want to optionally calculate with large number types as GMP or CLN.
The GGL (or other geometry libraries who might take the same approach)
is completely independant from GMP and from their license. It can just
work together.

We will work this out in the upcoming preview of GGL. We realize that it
is not applicable for geometry alone, so we make it independant from it
and might submit it as a separate, small, header-only library. The
sample (link below) shows a numeric_adaptor, having a policy of either
gmp, or just ieee types, or other big number types as cln (not worked
out). Other policies might elaborate adaptive precision.

See
http://geometrylibrary.geodan.nl/num/numeric_adaptor.html

Details might change of course, such as the place of the member variable
in either adaptor or policy, but the sample will give the general idea.

Regards,
Barend Gehrels, Amsterdam
Bruno Lalande, Paris