Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Interest check for 3d geometry proposal
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 16:33:24

Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> Hi Kornel,
>
> FWIW, after all this thread I still feel that it not sufficiently clear
> what you propose to work on, and how do you plan to manage to apparent
> or actual overlap between your proposal and related projects.
>
> So, can you TOP POST a message with summary of your proposal but with
> sufficient detail so potential metors can evaluate it?
>
> Make sure to contrast that very carefully with exiting libraries and
> proposals, inclusing Quaternions (which already exists), Boost.SIMD,
> Spatial Indexes from Federico Fernandez, GTl and GLL.

One thing boost doesn't have is a fixed-size matrix class, which could
be used with boost::array as a building block for a lot of the more
game-specific tech involved. Seems to me a boost::matrix class
(essentially a 2d boost::array) would be of reasonable scope/difficulty
for a GSOC project. If there's time left over, one could investigate
making optimized rotations, dot projects, reflections and the like as
freestanding functions/operators in a special namespace somewhere.

-t