Subject: [boost] [gsoc] Proposal for Generic Trie, Radix Tree, and Suffix Array Data Structures
From: Chris Wagner (c.alexander.wagner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-31 19:50:02

Hello,

I am interested in writing a library consisting of generic implementations of
several common data structures and algorithms primarily useful in
text-processing. I believe these would be useful additions to Boost and would
like to work on them for GSoC. Before I submit my proposal, I would like to
hear whether or not the community agrees that this is a good idea, and I would
appreciate any suggestions or comments offered.

My plan is to implement a trie / prefix tree data structure, STL set/map-like
classes implemented over the trie, a radix tree, a suffix tree implemented
over the radix tree, and a suffix array. These would be instantiable over
arbitrary sequence types, and use iterator traits to determine the contained
type.

I am a student at Kent State University, working on an M.S. in Computer
Science in a combined undergraduate/graduate program. I have a particular
interest in computational linguistics, and I will admit that am especially
interested in this project because of how it could be applied to my own
field, but I believe that these types would be of general utility to the
programming community as a whole.

Thank you for your time,
Chris Wagner