Subject: Re: [boost] [move] New version with move-aware containers library
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-12 21:14:02

Hi Ion,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ion Gaztañaga" <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 1:21 AM

> Hi to all,
>
> Sorry for the delay, but finally I've found some time to uploaded a new
> version of Boost.Move:
>
> Sandbox:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/move
>
> ZIP file with docs:
>
> http://www.drivehq.com/web/igaztanaga/move.zip
>
> Online docs:
>
> http://www.drivehq.com/web/igaztanaga/libs/move/
>
> Changes:
>
> -> Changed folder from boost/move_semantics to boost/move.

> -> I've extracted all the containers from Boost.Interprocess, put them
> in boost/container and they only depend on official Boost SVN code (I
> haven't tested it, but it should be also nice with Boost 1.38). There is
> no documentation for these containers.

This is a major feature that Boost needs to have. Excelent!

> -> Fixed a bug with EDG-based compilers.
> -> Note: I haven't applied yet the patch for non-sfinae compilers.
>
> With this changes, I think move emulation is quite portable (at least
> MSVC, EDG and GCC).
>
> Now that containers are independent from Boost.Interprocess, I would
> like to ask about the next step. If the move library is added, where
> should we put those containers? I would like to just drop common
> (vector, list, ...) Boost.Interprocess containers and just maintain
> these move-aware ones.
>
> If move emulation is considered mature enough, we should also plan when
> could we port all custom move-emulations present in several boost
> libraries to the "official" move library.

I think the first thing to do is purpose the Boost.Move library for review. And then ask for a mini review of the move-aware Boost.Containers. I'm sure you will find quicky a review manager.

BTW, how far are the interface of these move-aware containers from the C++0x STL ones?

Best,
Vicente