Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in atomic library?
From: Seth LaForge (sethml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-22 16:14:07

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 17:33, <jbosboom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Are you suggesting an implementation of std::atomic<T>?

I wasn't suggesting that, since I'd never heard of std::atomic<T>.
Reading the GNU libstdc++ docs, it appears atomic<T> is a C++ 200x
feature, and is only implemented in the latest release (4.4) of
libstdc++. (I happen to be using release 4.1.)

Anyway, now that I know about atomic<T>, I suppose I am suggesting an
implementation of it. It looks like exactly what I was describing,
only much more complete and fully thought-out. I'm not sure how
useful it would be to implement such a thing in boost as C++0x is
headed into compilers, but there will certainly be plenty of older
compilers and standard libraries out there which could benefit from it
for quite some time.

In any case, I'm glad to see that better minds than mine have already
solved my problem!

Seth