Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] OK to build release?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-11 12:49:03

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> 1. Is release branch open now for all commits?
>
> Beman?

Yes, for 1.40.0. But that doesn't stop us from also working on either
a hot fix or a proint release.

>> 2. It is desirable to create new set of packages, with fixed
>> version of bootstrap.sh? Alternatively, should it be in some
>> 'hot-fix' area?
>
> IMO, this issue is serious enough to justify a point release. Here's what
> I'd like to see:
>
> - We create a 1.39.1 branch from the 1.39 tag.
> - We merge the patched bootstrap.sh to the 1.39.1 branch
> - We issue a new release from that branch

Yep, that would work.

> Also,
>
> - We open the normal release branch for general merges and start work on
> 1.40.

That's done for 1.40.0. Once a release ships, it is often a week or so
before I get to that. But there is no reason some other release
manager couldn't do it as soon as a release ships. See
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleasePractices/ManagerCheckList#Releasecycleinitialization
for the steps involved.

--Beman