Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Algorithm.Sorting
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-15 02:09:57

As a note, the LOG_CONST value doesn't do much with default settings; it
currently defaults to 2, but must be at least 4 to do much on a 32-bit
integer, with the other constants set as they are. It's there to constrain
worst-case performance on long data types (64bit+); it used to be necessary
for 32-bit data types, but I've optimized performance enough that it isn't
anymore.

I've attempted to create a good set of default constants so that the average
user doesn't have to worry about them, but these tuning constants make a
substantial impact on integer_sort and float_sort performance, so I'm open
to suggestions for improvement.