Subject: Re: [boost] git clone up
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-18 11:08:28

Christopher Currie wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Yeah. That the commit hashes are different is a big problem. Brad King
>> from Kitware is here at boostcon and is really good with git... he's shown
>> me a Better Way to do this mirroring that enables one to git svn dcommit
>> directly from the git clone. When I've got this all grokked, I'll give
>> notice here, put the new one up and take the old one down.
>
> This is great to hear, I look forward to it.

Okay, I didn't do that. I've left the old one up. All the
documentation that I could find and experiments I did indicated that you
couldn't push-pull between git repositories and also svn dcommit... and
exchanging data between git repositories is much more important than the
marginal inconvenience of having to format/apply a patch to an svn
checkout (which one can make nearly automatic). So there are still
incompatible git repositories floating around, the jsharpe one (which is
being updated), and one on gitorious (which hasn't been since january).
I'm not sure this matters.... if somebody wants to use git like svn,
fine... They wont be pushing/pulling to the other set of clones anyhow.

>>> While I don't hold out hope that Boost will move to Git anytime soon
>>> (pretty please?), perhaps it's time that boost.org have an official
>>> Git mirror, so that folks don't end up re-inventing the wheel? Or
>>> nominate one of these two (that we know of) to be official?
>> The thing would be to give it some exercise... I'd be glad to push/pull some
>> changes to you to try everything out. It'd be nice to see some kind of
>> experimental megabranch with various vault code in it, like process and
>> extension.
>
> That'd be sweet. Let me know what I can do to help, I've got a gitosis
> repo I can add you to for testing purposes.

I'm now mirroring to http://gitosis.org/boost as well. Expanded
tutorial/docs are here: http://sodium.resophonic.com/boost-git
I'm very open to suggestions and may be missing obvious things.

So I'd suggest to follow those docs, jotting down notes/corrections as
you go. You'll:

- clone the boost repo on gitosis
- pick your favorite vault/sandbox project and import it
- push it to gitosis
- ???
- Profit

As those docs mention, I did boost.process already, see my trunk_process
branch.

-t