Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 15:11:56

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>

>> Let's not get hung up on this particular use-case. Let's just assume
>> people want to see (or even validate) whether a particular boost
>> component (library) builds against some other (externally managed) boost
>> prerequisite.
>>

> I don't like "let's just assume". We can build quite a complicated scheme
> that does not solve anybody's problem.

Fair enough. I just fail to see what's so complicated about this (both,
the use-case as well as its implementation): All that is needed is for
any given module a way to express what prerequisites it has. Doing this
is fundamental to a lot of different tasks beside the above use-case
(example: packaging).
So, to me your suggested alternative ("let's just check out everything")
sounds like you want to avoid solving the problem at hand.

> I think testing a subset of Boost is orthogonal to mixing different versions.
> You can checkout all of Boost, and run tests for select libraries.

I didn't mean to be talking about mixing versions. All I meant to
suggest is that for building and testing a given boost module we may not
want to assume the rest of boost is present as a source tree, but as a
separately installed boost package.
Also, boost is big enough that I may just not like having to "check out
all of Boost", if all I'm interested in is a single boost module.

       Stefan