Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release (svn:externals)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-26 17:55:46

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> >From IRC discussion, it seems that Troy and I had different use of
> svn:externals
> in mind. I assumed that
>
> trunk/boost
>
> has svn:externals for each headers directory, e.g.
>
> filesystem ../libs/filesystem/headers
>
> Therefore upon checkout, you get a complete copy of all headers in 'boost'
> dir.
> This arrangement does not create any problems for branching or merging
> whatsoever.

Interesting. Is there any problem because of the large number of
svn:externals entries that would eventually end up in trunk/boost?

A slight refinement from my point of view might be:

       filesystem ../libs/filesystem/boost/filesystem

In other words, libs/filesystem/boost has exactly the same directory
structure for filesystem headers as trunk/boost. That let's me put
boost-root/libs/filesystem ahead of boost-root in the list of include
directories for my IDE setup. That way, I'm compiling and making changes
against the ../libs/filesystem/boost/filesystem headers, which is exactly
what I want.

I'll set up a little test repository here, and try out some scenarios.

> What Troy had in mind (according to my understanding, which may be faulty),
> is that
> svn:externals are used on
>
> trunk/libs
>
> and pull libraries from some other location. This will indeed create
> additional
> inconvenience for merges, but it's not clear why this arrangement is
> desired.

I suspect there are several approaches that could be made to work, but some
may be lot's easier than others. Let's try to settle on an approach that
will work well for us.

Thanks,

--Beman