Subject: Re: [boost] CMake and library requirements
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-28 08:48:43

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>

> > Looking at:
> >
> >    http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Directory_structure
> >
> > I see that sub-directory 'build' should contain
> > 'Library build files such as a Jamfile'. In SVN HEAD I also see:
> >
> >    libs/program_options/CMakeLists.txt
> >
> > Now, cmake is clearly build system, so that file is in violation of the
> > above guideline. May I ask to either:
> >
> > 1. Have cmake folks to fix this?
> > 2. Have the guideline adjusted, with associated moving of Jamfiles out of
> > 'build' directory and removal of 'build' directories that become empty
> > as result?
> >
> > The background is that I plan some work that might require adding Jamfiles
> > for header-only libraries and clearly having Jamfiles in build subdir while
> > having CMakeLists.txt one directory higher is gonna be mightly confusing.
>
> Does anybody "authorized" to deal with library requirements have a comment
> here? It does not seem reasonable for Troy and myself to discuss how we might
> change, or not change, library requirements if we could.

It is hard to make comments about library requirements relating to
directory structure until we finalize discussion of what the directory
structure is going to look like as we move forward.

I'm a little surprised there haven't been any comments about my "A new
approach to header modularization" posting. If we accept that
approach, where do Jamfiles and CMakeLists.txt best live?

--Beman