Subject: Re: [boost] Phoenix Reloaded
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-30 11:50:22

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> First of all, thanks for kick-starting the development, Eric!

Thanks for writing Phoenix in the first place!

> I looked at the prototype and it looks good. Reading the replies
> to this post, I'd not worry about compile time too much at this
> point but at least have a keen eye on it. I'd want to concentrate
> more on the extension mechanism and its interface.
<snip>

I think we have to make compile-time performance a priority -- and it
may influence the extensibility API. If we bill this as Lambda-2 and it
causes noticeable compile lag over Lambda-1, folks will be rightly
disappointed.

Frankly, I wish I had the template profiler before I settled on Proto's
extensibility API because I might have done things differently.

> At this point, I'd say that the design of the extension API is of
> most crucial significance. I'll have some feedback on this as soon
> as I learn more about the initial prototype. Those who have seen
> or used my other libraries' extension interfaces (Dan, Hartmut, etc.)
> please feel free to chime in.

Yes, please.

--
Eric Niebler