Subject: Re: [boost] sorting library proposal (Was: Review Wizard Status Report for June 2009)o
From: Edouard A. (edouard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-03 03:06:46

Are you guys saying that all algorithms in boost are currently proven?

If I were to submit an I/O library (it's an example, I'm not working on I/O)
using somehow a "new" algorithm to manage asynchronous requests, would you
ask me to use a more classical approach during the review?

What is the difference between a new algorithm and a new implementation of
an old algorithm?

>From the user point of view, when it "doesn't work", does the reason matter?

Does boost embrace innovation?

Innovations comes in many forms. It doesn't matter if the algorithm is new
or not as long as the author is able to give a certain degree of assurance
regarding reliability and correctness, isn't it?

An area where I would be extremely cautious with new algorithms is
cryptography, for obvious security reasons (notwithstanding it's very easy
to draw the line between the algorithm and the implementation details). I'm
not sure I can think of other cases where new algorithms should be dismissed
a priori.

Kind regards.

--
EA