Subject: Re: [boost] [fusion] improving compile times
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-04 21:09:11

on Wed Jun 03 2009, Eric Niebler <eric-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

> Would it go faster if the compiler didn't have to create the special
> member functions? Could we use the declared-but-not-defined trick to
> suppress their generation and speed up template instantiations for
> metafunctions?

At BoostCon, a few of us hacked on a C++0x scheme that did exactly one class
template instantiation per metaprogram. Here's my work:

  http://github.com/techarcana/mpl0x

And one of my colleagues':

  https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/ftmpl

Unfortunately because of GCC's dumb linear list search, it spends most
of its time looking up function template specializations and we get
almost no speedup. But this approach could be a big win with a smarter
compiler implementation.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing