Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-07 09:29:53

Gevorg Voskanyan <v_gevorg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The idea to have a proper C++ interface for DirectX sounds a good one
> indeed, but does it have to be in boost to be widely useful for C++ folks
> out there?

No, it doesn't.

But if it didn't have a boost:: prefix, it wouldn't have the cross-company
oomf that is needed to make it a worthwhile intellectual goal.

The point of boost:: is to be a quasi-standard. I recognise that. That is
why I am here, arguing for a DirectX namespace within boost, rather than
elsewhere making Yet Antother DirectX Wrapper.

I have as much interest in wrapping DirectX as I have in arguing its merits
against OpenGL.

Even so, there are things you need to do, like vertex declarations, that are
required. These can be helped with mpl. There are other things that boost
can give DX users as well, and these should be shown to people.

That is my point. That is only my point. I know it's not "pure boost", but
meh.

Christian.