Subject: Re: [boost] [Units & Spirit] libraries
From: Daniel J. Duffy (dduffy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-07 22:35:45

Hartmut,
I would like to generate well-formed units and create expressions of the followiong kinds:

Examples of unit expressions:
1. 2m + 15m*32s/16s = 32m.
2. 3m*7s + 2m*10s/5m = 21m + 4s -> ERROR. Can't add meters to seconds.

The second group looks more tricky.

Examples of simplification:
1. (x-2)^2 + 4x^2 - 2^x + 1 = 5x^2 - 8x + 10
2. x^2 + 7x + 10 = (x + 2)(x + 5)
3. (a + b)(a - b) = a^2 - b^2
4. sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1
5. 2sin(x)cos(x) = sin(2x)

One tricky part is for example #5 where the code needs to 'know' trigonometry.

best regards

Daniel