Subject: Re: [boost] [website] adding Google analytics reports to boost.org
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-08 15:43:13

David Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com> writes:

> on Mon Jun 08 2009, joaquin-AT-tid.es wrote:
>
> > After reading about Volodya's insertion of a GA tracker
> > for Boost.Build docs, I wonder whether it'd make sense
> > to add one of these to the boost.org website itself.
> > Some of the data we could gather, like for instance the
> > geographical distribution of visitors, can be very
> > illuminating.
> >
> > There are two problems at first sight with this:
> >
> > * Whose the reports' associated Google account should
> > be?
> > * How to make the data public? This is not technically
> > trivial, but maybe some volunteer would like to do the
> > job of extracting the data via the Google Analytics Data
> > Export API:
> >
> > http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/22/make-your-google-analytics-data-public/
>
> Is there a rule against sharing an account?

I don't think so. The only problem here would be
to designate the custodian of the account credentials,
as we certainly don't want them made public.

> One thing we _could_ consider is getting the SoftwareConservancy to set
> up http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/education/new for Boost.

I don't know if non-persons can get a Google
Account; if you take a look at the associated TOS it
reads:

  "10.1 Google gives you a personal, worldwide,
  royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive
  licence..."

OTOH, it's certainly much nicer if we can get the
account assigned to boost.org rather than an individual.
Maybe we need some legal advise here.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo