Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Carlos Rafael Giani (e0325834_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 04:59:21

joel wrote:
> Make this some kind of boost::graphics, target both dx and ogl or w/e in
> a seamless fashion, then you have something worthy.

This is commonly found in 3D graphics engines. However, a low level
ogl/dx abstraction is time-consuming, and ultimately not worth it,
because both APIs, while roughly equal, differ in many details, which
sums up in a low-level abstraction that covers the lowest common
denominator. It is better to abstract in a higher semantic level,
however this is hard to accomplish as a general 3D rendering library
(and probably not very useful, since rendering applications vary wildly
in their feature requirements and applied techniques).

In short, even then we don't even have something useful for boost.