Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Maik Beckmann (beckmann.maik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 07:21:19

Christian Schladetsch schrieb am Dienstag 09 Juni 2009 um 11:50:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> OK. This thread suggests that a 'system that supports DirectX
>
> > development' would be rejected.
>
> It could be argued otherwise. This thread already has over 75 responses. If
> the case was automatically unianimous, it would be more like 5 responses.

The length of this thread is more likely caused by your offending wording
style, like rendering people unworthy responding to your posts because they
don't know the characteristics of JVM and CLR well enough.

However, here are my 2 cents...

My impression is that you want to get more people to use boost in a directx
context. This is a win-win situation, since this brings cleaner code into
games and more code testing users to boost.

But an important point about boost is: Write once, compile (and thus run)
everywhere. This is a conflict you cannot resolve. Your lib would be AFAIK
the first one that doesn't fit into this requirement.

Given the fact you are a directx guy and not a OpenGL one makes it unpractical
for you to do a good job on writing the same for OpenGL or even do an
abstraction.

So why not just start a project at sourceforge/code.google and post release
notifications to the boost-users list?

Aside from publicity, being part of the daily testing cycle is the most
important benefit of getting your code into boost. If more projects like yours
are around it maybe the time to think about domain/platform specific boost-
extensions, which are hosted at boost.org and included in the automatic
testing system.

Live long and prosper,
 --Maik