Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Sergey Sadovnikov (flex_ferrum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 09:30:42

Hello, Christian.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 3:40:40 PM you wrote:

CS> Hi Mark,

CS> My impression is that you want to get more people to use boost in a directx
>> context. This is a win-win situation, since this brings cleaner code into
>> games and more code testing users to boost.

CS> Yes, that is my goal.

CS> I understand and appreciate the repeated advice that I should make a
CS> different repos, and a different site, to make my case. But it should also
CS> be clear that I had to try boost first.

Another two cents.

It think you clearly understand what structure of the game development sector is quite complex. Of course,
DirectX is a most suitable for PC-Windows and Xbox platforms. But
there are popular game consoles (PlayStation (2, 3), Wii), Mac OS descktops, many mobile platforms (iPhone,
Windows CE, PalmOS etc) and others. This is a world of the OpenGL
(ES). What could you offer for developers for such platforms? :)

Another view to this sector is following. Big game development
companies have they own libraries and engines (try this link
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html, for
example). Small developer teams are using simplest tools usually. As far
as I know some members of such teams don't like either boost or STL. These
libraries are too difficult for them (for _some_ small game-dev teams
members, I mean). So what kind of game development teams are aimed by such kind of tool?

Also you could known what 'casual' games are becoming more and more popular.
Such kind of games are quite easy for develop and can be played on the
wide range of platforms (both desktop and mobile, especially mobile).
So _portable_ game-development library could be asked-for but not only
DirectX-tied.

--
Best Regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:flex_ferrum_at_[hidden]