Subject: Re: [boost] [Christian S] Spirit and ANTLR - Request for example
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 11:41:06

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> This is somewhat unexpected.
>
> The reality for me and my workmates for years has been about boost::spirit:
> "boost is fun to look at" or "boost has useful things" or "boost::spirit is
> awesome, wait... what?"
>
> Point being that every real person, self included, that has ever tried to
> use boost::spirit has gone through three stages:
>
> 1. wow, it uses C++ static compile-time rules!
> 2. gee, this is slow to compile
> 3. ok, i can't use this. its too slow to compile and the error messages are
> pointless
>
> The reality is that Spirit tries to make C++ do something it shouldn't do.
> Joel and the others think otherwise. But yeah, the C++ *compiler* is not a
> language tool.
>
> It's a clever thing, but hey, the rest of us just think they are silly.
>
> Regards,
> Christian.

   Christian,

   Actually, I and many other have used it for real projects. I lay no
claim to it being perfect, but it is good for what I have used it for.
However, this does not address the point of the thread. Please respond
with real code examples, instead of "everyone who knows anything knows
this" sort of statements. You are asserting that there are things you
can't do with Spirit, so please support that assertion.

   For the record, I have had no part in developing Spirit, so I am not
being defensive about something I worked on.

                        John