Subject: Re: [boost] [Christian S] Spirit and ANTLR - Request for example
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 13:21:43

Hi David,

To be honest, my original reply about Spirit was answered in the
context/belief that it was a private email. So when I claimed that Joel el
al were being "silly" about Spirit, I thought it was a private response, but
still respectful. Saying that somone is "silly" about something is different
when you say it privately or publically.

I have since learned, in spades, that said response was not at all
"private".

So, do I now retract what I said? No. I belived it then, and I believe it
now. Would I have phrased it differently if I thought it was going to
[boost]!? YES!

Even so, I can't really bring myself to back down. Spirit is looked at being
the "way of doing language" in C++ these days, which is a crying shame.
There are better tools than Spirit.

Spirit is *not* the best way of making a parser. Is ANTLR? I don't know. But
Spirit is clever more than it is useful.

Does that make me a bad person for saying so? Maybe. Am I big enough and old
enough and, yes, experienced enough to say so here, and anywhere, and wear
the consequences? Yes.

Christian.