Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: Francois Barel (frabar666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-10 01:28:29

Christian,

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> This is precisely what my boost::monotonic proposal addresses. It gives you,
> the user of the containers, complete control over where the memory comes
> from,

I didn't follow his proposal closely, but I believe that is exactly
what Thorsten Ottosen proposed with his auto_buffer proposal, no?
AFAIK he has offered a fairly polished implementation, which is now
awaiting review.

> and how much there is of it.

In a std::vector, isn't that what vector::reserve is for (run-time reservation)?
In a boost::auto_buffer, isn't that what StackBufferPolicy is for
(compile-time reservation)?

As has been asked before by Frank Mori Hess in this thread, and as I
don't believe you have answered yet, in what respects is your proposal
better/different from Thorsten's auto_buffer?

Thanks,
François