Subject: Re: [boost] "boost cold shoulder" (was proposal for #pragma oncesupport)
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-10 12:03:14

2009/6/10 Sid Sacek <ssacek_at_[hidden]>:

> I do appreciate your insights into the inner workings of the Boost
> community.  I'm not discouraged about the lack of interest in my
> suggestion, but I was somewhat surprised.  Boost libraries are one of
> those things that make life better for programming engineers.  I
> believed that was the unwritten philosophy behind Boost, to "Make Life
> Better."  Extending that philosophical notion, the Boost libraries would
> also know about the shortcomings of compilers and operating systems and
> help to improve their performance as well, simply because it "makes life
> better."

Your forgetting about the natural impulse to not want to clutter the
code with unnecessary workarounds. Make no mistake, that's all it is,
since #pragma once is the wrong feature to add to a compiler if you
want to speed up header inclusion.

It might be acceptable in proprietary code that never moves outside of
Windows, but since Boost will still have to have normal include
guards, #pragma once is just noise, semantically.

> I suppose I must have been mistaken about that... perhaps not everybody
> in the Boost community has feelings of magnanimity and charity.

Wow, flamebait. And in a top post, too...