Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-10 13:58:52

On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:49 PM, David Bergman wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 4:54 AM, Christian Schladetsch wrote:
>
>> Hi Artyom,
>>
>> You **must** return aligned pointers from allocators.
>>

>> boost::monotonic does not allocate.
>
> I wonder what that 'allocator' of yours is for then? ;-)
>
> Of course it allocates. And you fail to align the start address,
> which makes certain use cases crash on certain platforms. On Intel,
> it "just" gives the user a worse performance when misaligned. This
> is not aligned (pun intended...) with your overall goal to give the
> developer a high-performance tool. But do not take my word for it, I
> ran a test with your container, the attached sample program and got
> around 33.3 picoseconds on average to perform an increment on an
> aligned long compared to 35.6 picoseconds for a misaligned long,
> i.e., some 8% difference. Actually, I got a bit more with other
> operations.

In fact, the attached version is a very lenient one, since it does
give proper alignment for a lot of iterations... I used prime number
distributions in other samples. Nevertheless, this sample produced
between 8% and 10% difference between the two cases. I can provide you
with more information about the performance hit of using misaligned
stuff if you want.

/David