Subject: Re: [boost] "boost cold shoulder" (was proposal for #pragmaoncesupport)
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-11 13:19:26

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Sid Sacek wrote:

> David,
>
> Why are you a "Windows Hater"?

I have been programming even longer than you, and have done a lot of
Windows programming, using Win32, MFC (ugh), ATL, COM, .NET, blah,
blah...

I was simplifying matters a bit, and probably not completely non-
ironically. I pointed out the factions as they are sometimes depicted
by the people "on the other side" in these recent "Why can't you Boost
guys accept our proposals that will make life better for so many!?"
threads.

> I've been programming since 1981, and have worked with many many
> compilers in my days. The Microsoft compilers have never
> disappointed me
> in any way since I started using them back in 1991.

Especially the ones starting with VC 7.1 are good. But their API's?
Well, the CLI (ripoff of Java's API) is pretty good, but before that?
There was a lot of reasons to dislike Windows programming with all
those silly structs and long parameter lists, without good defaults.
Well, this is getting "slightly" out-of-topic...

> I believe I belong to a third category that you didn't mention below:
>
> 3. The middle-aged mellowed-out "try to always do the right thing",
> "using namespace boost", crowd.

Sounds like a reasonable and extensive category, even though it
destroys my simplification ;-)

/David