Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-12 00:58:02

On Jun 11, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Christian Schladetsch wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> Please compare performance of your container to std containers with
> a good
>> memory pooling allocator and include system settings with your
>> benchmarks so
>> that we know what you are measuring. Your benchmarks mean nothing
>> to me
>> because I don't know what allocator you are comparing to, but
>> suspect you
>> are comparing to the system allocator, which is clearly a straw man
>> argument.
>

> I am directly comparing monotonic::allocator to std::allocator, so
> there is
> no straw-man.
>
> I agree that eventually I'll have to compare against as many other
> possible
> arrangements as possible, stopping when any of them fails to provide a
> performance benefit for the proposed system.
>
> The benchmarks I posted, while hardly exhaustive, do indeed show a
> performance increase of 10-100x over the standard schemes. At least
> this was
> a proof-of-concept over and above my hand-waving.
>
> I showed this for both stack- and heap-based storage, for the same
> algorithm
> implemented using the same containers, which no other changes or
> custom
> data-structures.

NOTE: I do get that preserving space - on stack or heap - is better
than incremental allocations (or reallocations.), and your "monotonic"
allocator could definitely be a good one if one is willing to bet on a
fairly small maximum size.

But. if we skip this reserve+monotonic vs unreserved+standard
comparison:

What we have then is for your allocator simply creates crashing code
for a lot of structures or classes on certain platforms, whereas it
yields worse performance (for my simple examples of misaligned
structures, I got between 10% and 20% slower) for the lenient (in this
aspect...) Intel processor family.

/David