Subject: [boost] Documentation Edits
From: Zachary Turner (divisortheory_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-12 10:20:04

What is the standard protocol for editing documentation? It doesn't appear
to be a wiki, unless you have to explicitly request write access in which I
wasn't aware of that. The reason I ask is that there are many times where
I've spent forever toiling over the documentation of some new library that I
wasn't familiar with, because the documentation either provided no /
insufficient samples, functions with very general names and one-liner
documentation that says (for example) "runs the service". Which is pretty
obvious when the function is called run, but no mention of the implications
or what "running" even means. Other examples include lack of discussion
over memory ownership (I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to trace down a
memory corruption only to later find that in one of the many example
programs for the library a single line comment that said "this causes X to
take ownership of Y". If that had been in the documentation I would have
spent 5 minutes tracing down the bug.

So my point in all this is can the documentation be in wiki format, and as a
fallback is there a way that someone other than a library owner/maintainer
can edit it?