Subject: Re: [boost] [rfc] cppgui
From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-15 15:07:58

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Mathias
Gaunard<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:
>
>>> How do you handle exceptions in Qt?
>>
>> I don't. Cppgui is exception neutral. Do you foresee a problem? I must
>> be honest, I haven't considered this at all.
>
> Exceptions are a serious matter.

They sure are. I just never considered that cppgui would have to catch anything.
It is strongly RAII-based, even all windows are handled with specific
smart pointers that explicit the shared ownership of the windows.

> Qt uses exceptions alright (most notably from usage of new), but is not
> aware of it and does as if it doesn't.

I didn't know that.

> It is perfectly fine not to use exceptions, but if you do you have to stick
> to specific coding standards that are in contradiction with the recommended
> practice of using exceptions and RAII.

Sure, I understand. I don't want that too.

> Qt lives in the no-exceptions make-believe land, which is really the worst
> of both worlds.

I agree. I want my programs to be robust in case of failures, and I
want maintenence to be the easiest possible, so exceptions are to me
the obvious answer.

> I am personally quite against a library that would have the same
> deficiencies.

Me too. But I'm a bit lost how to handle this with Qt.
I'll do some research and see what I can actually do to help this situation.
Maybe moving exceptions with boost.exception library might be a
possible solution (?).

Thanks,

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida