Subject: Re: [boost] expert, was: Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-18 15:49:18

Scott McMurray wrote:
> 2009/6/18 David Bergman <David.Bergman_at_[hidden]>
>> On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Three years ago I wasn't an expert in much of anything but had some
>>> good ideas and some bad ideas.  Be patient.
>>
>> Three years? Is that all it takes? There is hope for me then. :-)
>>

> I thought it was ten years: http://norvig.com/21-days.html

I taught myself perl in three days. Would have been two but I kept falling asleep over the 21-days book, which was thick and made a nice pillow when open. I've been programming in C++ for twelve years, so if it takes ten then I guess I wasn't an expert three years ago ;)

I taught myself C++ in the summer of 1997 between my sophmore and senior year of highschool when I was on crutches and once in my mother's basement in front of a dual boot windows/linux box was physically challenged to get away. I think I did the Borland C++ Builder 21-days book in 11, but it was a really terrible book and I didn't learn much except that OWL wasn't as good an idea as they thought.

Regards,
Luke