Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC unicode and py3k
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-21 20:08:08

troy d. straszheim wrote:

> Looking good. I wonder if you've talked to Haoyu Bai about the gsoc
> py3k project, where IIUC string-unicode conversion is a central issue.
> It'd be a shame if the boost's approach to unicode became fragmented at
> the moment it started (i.e. if boost.python and and your library don't
> do things in a coherent way), and you may both benefit.

I suggest what boost.python really needs is some kind of "unicode string
type" which it can translate the python unicode string type to.

However, the library is at the moment nothing more than a set of
algorithms and tools operating on ranges of raw data.

Those can later be composed to create the unicode string type.