Subject: [boost] [serialization] impossible to extend xml_iarchive?
From: Kenny Riddile (kfriddile_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-29 19:57:33

Here I am again...still trying to add a seemingly trivial bit of
functionality to xml_iarchive by following the directions at:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/serialization/doc/derivation.html

In my last post (http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2009/06/49028.php),
I was getting several unresolved externals from basic_xml_grammar<char>.
  I figured I needed to simply explicitly instantiate this template like
the others. The first problem with that is that basic_xml_grammar.ipp
isn't in boost/archive/impl/ like the other ipp's are. It's in
serialization's source directory, which I, like most people, had thrown
away after building Boost. So after I copied that file into my own
codebase so I could include it and explicitly instantiate
basic_xml_grammar<char>, I then got a single unresolved external
complaining about basic_xml_grammar<char>::init_chset() not being
defined. After some more digging, I found that that particular method
is defined in basic_xml_grammar.cpp which is also in serialization's
source directory. Even after all that, I'm still getting some other
linker errors that nobody here can figure out after hours of trying, but
the aforementioned issues alone suggest to me that it isn't currently
possible to extend xml_iarchive by following the instructions in the
documentation.

-Kenny Riddile