Subject: Re: [boost] [rfc] cppgui
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-02 01:01:37

(sorry for the bad non online reply
Blame my iPhone)

- eve layout engine can be used separately from the scripting language
ie directly in code

- I helped write a DSEL that was as eve like as possible given the
constraints of c++. Of course that didn't make it's way out of adobe
but it is definitely doable. Boost proto would now make it that much
easier.

I'm not against a springs and struts system, but think about what your
goals really are. An interface needs to be properly aligned and
logically grouped. The more that can be done automatically the better.
The ultimate goal is to describe the data model and have the interface
be automatic (and yet still aestetic). Eve is a step in that
direction. We should strive to do as well or better.

We need to concentrate on properly describing the data first. A
language (c++ or other) that says 'this data us a number (with min max
etc)' or not only is this a string, but it is an email address (so
that interfaces like the iPhone can adapt with @ symbols etc).

Once we have the data description, we can build widgets that can
'advertise' what data types they can display/edit. Then the layout
engine can pick the best widget given the data model and the space
constraints. For example, you might pick 3 radio buttons for clarity
of choice or a dropdown list if little space is available. This should
be decided at the layout level.

This is all doable. I've seen and/or built all the necessary building
blocks to make it so.

Tony