Subject: Re: [boost] [xpressive] Performance Tuning?
From: Edward Grace (ej.grace_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-21 08:51:12

On 21 Jul 2009, at 11:42, OvermindDL1 wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Edward
> Grace<ej.grace_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Sorry about this mucking around. It makes me appreciate how hard
>> it is to
>> get things not just working but 'correct' across so many platforms.
>
> Heh, I know how that is. My development is on Windows, but I still
> distribute many of my libraries to people who use it with GCC, so I
> have learned to fix many things. :)

Right,

Hopefully this is (n+1) time lucky! I've placed them on the Boost
Vault under Tools as before.

Direct links below:

http://tinyurl.com/ejg-timer-0-0-4-zip

http://tinyurl.com/uint-parser-0-0-4-cpp

I have verified these working under Release and Debug on MSVC8. The
uint_parser gives a load of spirit related warnings, but seems to
work - not sure what to make of them.

Again, for 'Debug' Spirit is reported as being around -50% faster
[negative speedup - like the expanding economy] than the native
versions, for 'Release' with all optimisation switched on it is
reported as being ~1000% faster than atol. As I mentioned before I
find this speedup unnerving. Not knowing what Spirit does I've no
idea if somewhere deep in its guts things might be optimised away.

Please ignore the message on the Vault saying '(Please wait) -
Currently I am testing this again from the download.' For some
unknown reason I don't seem to be able to modify it.

Attached is a screen shot for proof!

-ed

ejg_uint_optimisation.jpg