Subject: Re: [boost] AlRangeExandrescu?
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-24 02:27:46

James Porter wrote:
> To be honest, I'd really love to see a ground-up redesign of the STL
> that uses ranges and takes advantage of some of the other niceties
> that modern C++ (especially 0x) can provide us. The loss of concepts
> makes this lose its luster a bit, but perhaps a complete redesign of
> the STL with concepts in mind (as opposed to trying to put concepts
> into the current STL) would help to give some insight on how concepts
> *should* work.
This is also a pet peeve of mine. Rebuilding STL w/r to all the thin we
know how to do in a proper way now comapred to 198x.
Maybe some effort could be put on these.

> I've hesitated on doing much with this, since I'm still trying to
> figure out a place for multidimensional containers in all this, and
> they don't map quite so easily onto the concept of ranges (especially
> with respect to for loops, which are by definition a one-dimensional
> sequence).
What about saying that such containers can be walked using a set fo
ranges, one per dimension and let then generate nested for loop for each
range ?