Subject: Re: [boost] AlRangeExandrescu?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-24 13:41:32

Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> >> All ranges can be expressed as pairs of iterators, so I hardly
> >> see how that limits anything.
> >
> > Not true. Some ranges can be generated on the fly based upon a
> > predicate (either provided or built into the range type). Ranges
> > in the Boost.Range library are what you've described, but those
> > in Andrei's scheme are not.
>
> I don't see how your message disproves what I said (nor
> actually, how it is related at all).

You said all ranges can be expressed as a pair of iterators. I
claimed some ranges don't have a predetermined end, so can't be
expressed as a pair of iterators. Dave Abrahams correctly noted
that it is possible to make an iterator that takes a predicate
and, I infer, becomes the end iterator once the range indicated
by the predicate has been traversed. Reversing said iterator
might be a bit harder.

How about another try: traversing a range with changing criteria?
A particular range class can take a predicate or some other
traversal influencing argument that can change with each
advance. How would you express that with iterator pairs?

> Boost.Range is just a set of tools to make it more practical to
> manipulate iterators pairs, which can represent ranges.
> Alexandrescu offers to ditch iterators and directly define
> first-class ranges. Yet, in terms of expressiveness, a pair of
> iterators is not less expressive than Alexandrescu's ranges
> (discuss below). The only gains there might be are
> ease-of-defining (but then, if you accept my argument iterators
> are needed anyway, that gain is moot) and efficiency (which
> becomes moot too if you allow the two iterators of the pair to
> be of different types).

Andrei is far better able to defend his notion of Ranges than I,
given the time he's spent working on the idea. However, I don't
yet accept as axiomatic that all ranges can be expressed as a
pair of iterators.

The bottom line is if ranges can be made to very reasonably
support all use cases, their other benefits (ease of
specification, implementation, and composition) make supplanting
iterators with ranges highly desirable.

Your questions are good, and must be asked before accepting
another system that may prove to make certain things impossible
rather than simply difficult or awkward. It may be that keeping
both is the only viable choice, but that is not nearly as clean
and would permit awkward omissions and overlaps, not to mention
making education harder still.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]