Subject: [boost] Building BJam and Boost in Sun's Virtual Box
From: Monte Jones (mj_jones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 11:13:42

Hi All,

I need to be able to use Boost in a virtual environment, specifically, Sun's
Virtual Box. I'm further limited in the company I am working for has not
approved any Boost upgrades since 1.34 for use. I thought the best way to
approach this would be to build Boost Jam and then Boost within the virtual
box. Below is what I've done so far.

Downloaded platform independent zip files for Boost Jam 3.14.1 and Boost
1.34.0 and saved into directory I called Boost

cd Boost

unzipped both files

cd boost-jam-3.1.14

sh ./build.sh

I received the following:

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: {^M: not found

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: syntax error at line 67: 'elif' unexpected

I then attempted

sh ./build.sh sunpro

and got

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: ^M: not found

./build.sh: {^M: not found

sunpro

./build.sh: sunpro^M: not found

./build.sh: syntax error at line 67: 'elif' unexpected

Thinking I may need administrative privileges, I did su root and reran the
same commands with the same results.

I had previously built these versions on a Sun 4800 without problems. Could
these errors be the result of running in a virtual box with WindowsXP as the
base operating system and an Intel Pentium 4 CPU?

Thanks,

Mont