Subject: Re: [boost] [xpressive] Performance Tuning?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 00:39:17

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Paul Baxter wrote:
>> I'm really appreciative of the testing you are all doing with parsing
>> code and hope that at the end we can see both how fast and how clear
>> and maintainable the various styles of parser code become (focus on
>> accuracy, speed then perhaps more on the clarity).
>>
>> Its great to see the enthusiasm and results. Looking forward to more
>> tips once we have a fair test directly pitting spirit with expressive
>> and other parsing methodologies.
>
> Keep i mind that we are testing just one small aspect of parsing/
> text processing. It just so happens that spirit is designed to be
> optimal in this *specific* use case. xpressive will definitely
> shine in other areas (e.g. searching, replacing). So, as always,
> use the right tool for the job.

IIRC, xpressive was faster than Spirit 1. Spirit 2 has leapfrogged
xpressive in performance. That pleases me -- a regex engine with
exhaustive backtracking semantics has no business being faster than a
parser generator. :-) Kudos to Joel and Hartmut.

Sorry I haven't kept up with this discussion. Things in my day job have
taken a turn for the busy.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing