Subject: Re: [boost] Please Help: Experienced very bad performance with Multi-index
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 16:57:33

Hi Robert,

Jarolin, Robert <Robert.Jarolin <at> trueposition.com> writes:

> Below is a sample program that I am running. If I create a multi-index
> as defined below, the performance as the number of entries increases
> gets to the point of being unusable.
>
> [...]
>
> #if !defined(NDEBUG)
> #define BOOST_MULTI_INDEX_ENABLE_INVARIANT_CHECKING
> #define BOOST_MULTI_INDEX_ENABLE_SAFE_MODE
> #endif

I strongly suspect this is the problem. Are you doing your
performance tests in debug mode? If so, invariant and safe
mode (specially the former) have a huge impact on performance.
They shouldn't be used in production, release mode. Try
either not using these modes or, better yet, testing with
release settings, which in your particular case implies
disabling these modes as well. Please report back.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo