Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-30 05:57:12

Boris Schaeling wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:00:11 +0200, Vladimir Prus
> <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>> I have another question: What exactly does <find-shared-library> do?
>>> Does
>>> it automatically define and use a lib target like:
>>>
>>> lib xy : : <name>xy <link>shared ;
>>
>> It's the other way around, actually. <find-shared-library> instructs to
>> link
>> against named library, so
>>
>> <find-shared-library>x
>>
>> results in
>>
>> -lx
>>
>> on linux (and x.lib on windows). 'shared' means to make sure it's
>> actually
>> shared.
>
> If I need to set a path to x on a platform because I know
> <find-shared-library> won't be able to find x automatically can I add a
> "lib x" rule to a configuration file as a fallback mechanism? Then I could
> use <search> to help <find-shared-library> to find x?

You can, but it's somewhat non-direct. The <library-path> is the low-level
feature. That is, if you define

the targets that use xy will get additional

    <find-shared-library>xy <library-path>foo

properties. There are little reasons to directly use the latter features
these days, to be honest.

- Volodya