Subject: Re: [boost] 0MQ messaging in Boost
From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-30 08:14:37

Hi,

Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> The wire level protocol is very simple, it does not compare with AMQP
> (which I'm well aware of, being one of the original designers). You
> can check the 0MQ protocol (SPB) here: http://rfc.zeromq.org/.

Indeed very simple. Being BLOB-based it does not handle binary format
differences (byte ordering, anyone?) between platforms. I would not
therefore describe the whole solution as "high-level".

A high-level solution - and the one that is reasonably portable - would
need to be coupled/supplemented with serializer/deserializer, which
actually already exists in Boost. In this context the integration with
Boost would indeed make it an interesting exercise, except for the fact
that the Boost serialization library is not very fast.

My personal and humble opinion is that such a couple would fall out of
your intended/typical benchmarks. How would you promote it then? Who
would constitute the target audience?

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com