Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Plot? - Scalable Vector Graphics
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-30 10:22:48

On
> Behalf Of Bruno Lalande
> Sent: 30 July 2009 09:24
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Plot? - Scalable Vector Graphics

> Recently I had to plot some series of data with a logarithmic scale on
> the screen, and I remember the code got quite messy when it came to
> automate a few autoscaling stuff relatively to the display area and
> the data available. Would this kind of library have been helpful in my
> case?

You will see if you look at the docs (and, god forbid, the code) that the
autoscaling is quite tricky.

I've tried quite hard to get it to pick 'nice' axes limits - a thing that
has annoyed me about using Excel to plot graphs for example. But you may
still need to provide some guidance parameters to make it suit your taste.

> I mean: does it propose logarithmic scaling features,

So far I have completely ducked the log scaling - it looked completely
different from linear - and a bit scary.

So to plot things on a log scale, you will have to take logs first, and then
plot them.

> and is it sufficiently generic to easily change the output type (e.g. an
OpenGL framebuffer)?

Well the output is plain readable text - use your browser View, Page Source
to see it.

You can send this text to a ostream or a file.

I'm afraid how you get it rendered is your problem :-(

But it might be possible - the SVG is entirely Standard.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse