Subject: Re: [boost] 0MQ messaging in Boost
From: dhruva (dhruva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-31 06:39:39

Hello, Apologies for replying to the chain with no context as I just enabled the mail delivery on this list (was using the web front end). I have a need for a robust and fast peer to peer messaging service in C++. If it has extra language bindings, it makes it better so that I can ask clients to write their own subscribers in any language. I thought of using memcache but that does not work in a pure windows (server and client) environment. MPI seems to be more for distributing work load and not for distributed computing (I confess I still have not understood the differences). 0MQ (zeroMQ) appears to be the best available library from what I know. Since I use Boost and intend to use as much of it as possible to streamline the code and interface, I prefer a solution from Boost distribution. Message Queue is more a pattern and IMO feel it fits into Boost. The same way Boost::Accumulators use Boost::Math, 0MQ could use ASIO and extend ASIO to help application programmers with a MQ implementation. The fact that 0MQ does not use Boost today should not guide the decision on whether to incorporate 0MQ into Boost or not? 0MQ can use the most suitable parts of Boost (ASIO and maybe many more libraries) so that it exposes a similar Boost like interface to the user. Note: Along similar lines, I had posted regarding a distributed lock manager. Message queue and distributed lock manager using ASIO can be great libraries for cluster programming. Boost can become one single requirement for enterprise programming in the distributed/cloud environment. regards, dhruva Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8. http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/